Families Built By God: A Seminar for Improving Families
The “Families Built by God” series is designed to help today’s families apply God’s principles so they can be what God would have them to be. Many families today struggle with turmoil, conflict, temptation, and division. The problems faced by these families are largely due to being unaware of the instructions God gives to families. This series of lessons has been created with the belief that many families want to be stronger, healthier, more faithful, and to serve God more fully. Identifying how to accomplish these goals is not always easy. God is willing to build a family into a strong, healthy family, when each family member yields to His guidance.
- The Guide to Stronger Families: The first lesson in the series focuses upon the Bible as the source for building stronger families. If God’s word is not consulted in building a family, the efforts to build that family are empty. On the other hand, when the family is built by God, it will be whole, healthy, and strong.
- Diminishing Family Conflict: Conflict is a normal part of any relationship and should be expected within families. God does not expect us to eliminate conflict, but He does expect us to deal with conflict in healthy ways. The primary focus of this lesson is on identifying healthy and unhealthy styles of family conflict.
- Meeting the Needs in Marriage: God created people with needs, wants, and desires. When these needs are not met in marriage, spouses begin looking to have their needs met outside of marriage. Meeting the needs in marriage is the best way to decrease the likelihood of affairs.
- Establishing Healthy Roles: Today families often have ‘non-traditional’ roles. Many mothers work, some fathers are the primary housekeeper or cook, and many wives take care of the yard. This lesson is focused on establishing healthy roles in the marriage and in the family by achieving balance within the roles. When families are unbalanced in the roles resentment, frustration, and division are the natural outcome.
- Protecting Against Common Weaknesses: Families are faced with many problems in today’s world. Certain problems, however, are more commonly causes of discord, division, and divorce. This lesson will focus upon finances, materialism, drugs, recreation, entertainment, and other aspects which can cause weakness to the family. Practical suggestions will be given to identify how to protect the family from being weakened.
- Reviewing Our Family Patterns: Throughout the Bible, society, and history one can find a multitude of examples showing that family patterns generally repeat themselves. This lesson examines Biblical examples of family patterns, common family patterns today, how to duplicate healthy family patterns, and how to avoid unhealthy family patterns.
- Raising Faithful Children: A Child’s View: It should be the goal of every Christian parent to raise faithful children. God provides many principles to assist in doing so. As a parent of a young son, James Dalton knows well the difficult job God has given to parents. As one of four faithful children, James shares the Biblical principles and some practical experience from a child’s view of what helped him to be raised to be faithful to God.
The Presenter: James H. Dalton is a Licensed Professional Counselor in the State of Arkansas. He has a B.A. in Bible and a M.S. in Counseling from Freed-Hardeman University. Additionally, he has a Ph.D. in Counselor Education and Supervision from Regent University. James Dalton was the full time minister for the Northside church of Christ in Blytheville, Arkansas from 2005-2009. Since 2009 James has worked in the counseling profession as a therapist and Quality Assurance Officer. He is currently the Assistant Professor of Counseling at Freed-Hardeman University (see full bio on the staff page).